Wednesday 10 December 2008

Day 54 - Mon 08 Dec 2008

I woke up in time to checkout at 10am in order to upgrade rooms to an ensuite room to give the party that had already booked up my present room access to it. Then to Cafe 90 for breakfast, a three egg omelette with ham, cheese, tomatoe and spring onion. I then took a walk around some of the many souvenir shops in the city but after a while thought better of it and went over to the pedestrianised area near the Cathedral where there's a full life-size chess set that the council bring out every day for the public to use. I sat down and watched two games and standard appeared to be quite good.

When the third game was being set up I was asked if I wasnted to play so duly took up this offer against a New Zealander, Rex Tail. I was playing as the black pieces and after a mixed opening it transposed into a French Advanced but without my light-squared bishop that my opponent (folloishly I thought!) swapped off early on. as a result, I appeared to have a lot of space, more so than normal anyhow, and a relatively stable buut easily-playable position. After taking a while to clear my f-file pawn and castle it was a fairly even position but a clever tactic by myself won the game. I was quietly impressed with myself, given that I'd played rather averagely at Central Park a many weeks before and it had been my first game apart from that one for the best part of five years.

Due to it being the time of day or that due to the relative solidity with which the game had been played, although there were a few spectators watching none wanted a game. So we had a furthe game, which this time I jotted down.

As my opponent preferred the "white" pieces (although in fact on this board White was represented by red peices) and I prefer playing as black, we started with the same colour pieces as in the first game.

No comments: