Wednesday 10 December 2008

Day 56 - Wed 10 Dec 2008

After waking at a reasonable 10.30am and having a noodle fried rice from a stall outside the Cathedral, I set about doing my Christmas shopping! Back in England usually the entire process for Christmas shopping would start and finish on December 24, Christmas Eve, from a visit to Milton Keynes.

As I had no "ideas" as such, though, I had to think on my feet more than usual when doing such shopping as historically I've just got lists from close family and then worked out what I should buy from there. However, it was good to do it different for once and in fact was probably more "fun" doing so and trying to work out what individuals may or may not like. This took up most of the day.

After a short internet check, I went to Tatsumi Japanese Kitchen & Pub for dinner at a decent time for one, around 7.15pm. As my first time in a Japanese restaurant I wasn't quite sure what to expect or what to order so went for a Prawn Spring Rolls followed by Beef and Spring Onion on Rice in a Miso Soup with a poached Egg on top. When the spring rolls arrived at my table I knew from the presentation of it - even before I'd tasted it! - that it was going to be good and it sure was! Astonishingly enough for someone who likes curries and chicken as some of my favourite food, I was absolutely bowled over by the Beef and Onion main course; it was delicious, probably in my top 10 meals of all time; and the entire meal was only $18.50 !

I take back what I've thought before about it being difficult to "cock up" when cooking rice or (vice versa) to make it exceptionally good, as here they achieved the latter very much so, with apparently little effort and cost. Two complimentary cups of green tea - again presented simply but with style - completed a delicious evening's meal.

No comments: